In 1697, the Frankford Avenue Bridge was built at the request of Governor William Penn in order to connect Philadelphia to Trenton, New York and Boston. Over the years, the bridge has gone by many names; the Pennypack Creek Bridge, the Holmeburg Bridge and the Kings Highway Bridge.
The twin stone arch bridge is three span and 735 ft long.
In 1893, the bridge was widened to accommodate street cars, and again in 1950, to better accommodate automobile traffic. In the summer of 2018 the rehabilitation of the bridge was undertaken by Penn DOT due to structural deficiencies.
Extensive stonework on the arches was required in addition to the stabilization of the foundation.
Structural lightweight concrete was chosen to fill the cavities of the arches thereby upgrading the integrity of the support structure while limiting dead load.
After filling the arches to grade with Solite® concrete, a HPC regular concrete roadway was constructed to carry traffic across this historic bridge.
The Frankford Avenue Bridge, no matter what name it goes by, is the oldest continuously used bridge in America.